Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Peanut Butter Cookies



We LOVE baking in our house! I guess it probably goes back to the way I was raised. Growing up on a farm we always had fresh baked goodies. I learned all of my baking from my mom for sure! We were constantly helping mom out in the kitchen. One of our favorite recipes was from the Bennington Lutheran Church cookbook from ages ago for Ray's Peanut Butter Cookies. Several years ago when I was at my mom's house I had to steal some recipes and this was one I took!

The other day Ilkan got a craving for cookies after watching "Daddy DayCare" for the 5th time in a week. In one of the scenes Eddie Murphy's character answers the door carrying a tray of fresh baked cookies. After this scene Ilkan looked at me and asked what fresh baked cookies we had. So off to work we went baking some peanut butter cookies. I mixed up the dough and the boys did a great job of rolling the dough into balls. They loved getting to press the cookies with a fork to make the pattern you see above in the picture. Have you ever thought about why we press peanut butter cookies this way? Does everyone do that?? We also got a little carried away and decided to add little chocolates to the top of some of them. We ended up with a lot so Ilkan took some to school to share with his friends.

Here's the recipe we used:

1/2 cup butter (softened but not melted)
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine butter, peanut butter and sugars. Beat egg and add to butter and sugar mixture. Sift flour, soda, and salt and add. Add vanilla and form into balls then press with a fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment