Friday, November 18, 2011

Turkey Time


Ok, so I know this could be confusing because we live in Turkey and Thanksgiving (aka Turkey Day) is coming up. I was referring to the latter:)) And, for your information we do eat turkey in Turkey, but usually the big bird is stuffed on New Year's Eve and the stuffing is a rice stuffing rather than bread stuffing.

I remember my first Thanksgiving here in Turkey back in 2004. We were working at our school at that time and had some animals in the garden for the kids. Fortunately for me we had a few turkeys and the cooks just killed one and cooked it up for us. Yes, I know, sounds a little mean and it was a little hard to explain to the kids why we only had 2 turkeys rather than 3 on Friday, but after New Year's we had to explain why there were 0 turkeys...shame...LOL!! Anyways, the cooks at school made the turkey and all I had to do was make sides. Some members of Kaan's family came over to enjoy dinner with us and a few even brought me gifts. I had to seriously think about whether or not to tell them that we don't exchange gifts on Thanksgiving, but I did end up doing the right thing...yes, I told them!! Geez, what were you thinking! Gosh, that sounds like a long time ago now.

Back to the matter at hand, with Thanksgiving coming up I decided to get the kids in the mood by creating some turkeys to decorate the house with. When we were in the US this year the boys and I made a trip to Hobby Lobby with Grandma Kimbrough. We must have wandered around the store for a good hour and I found a few neat and small (very important when you are considering luggage) packages of crafts for us to create.

I pulled out the package of foam turkeys so we would be all ready. The boys have loved to play with any form of foam stickers since they were small. These crafts had the adhesive already on them so we just pulled off the covers and started sticking feathers, eyes, and gobblers, as we called them, to the body of the turkey and voila! Atakan made 2 turkeys before getting bored, but Ilkan made 4 or 5 of them. He was so excited with his final product he had to choose the best one to take the school to show his teacher:))

No comments:

Post a Comment